Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Busy Bee BBs

So we started the week talking about the ripple effect of our actions. And then something happened... With me anyway...busy-ness.  I ran out of time to write. Other things got in my way and then I got in the way of making this blog happen. 

BBs, sometimes we are the busy-ness and stumbling block for others. It hurts my feelings to think that, but it's true.  Read these verses peeps, and understand that Jesus is telling the disciples about his death that is just around the corner.  They must have been shaking in their sandals over this one... 

And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, saying, "Far be it from you, Lord! This shall never happen to you.  But he turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.  Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."  Matthew 16:22-24

Whoa Nelly!  Jesus just called his own BB, Peter, "Satan"!!  What up with that??  That makes me physially ILL to think about.  But aren't we?  When we obstruct, we become like Satan.  When we make choices and take the easier path, we are of the world.    If we are of the world, we are not of Christ.  We are of Satan.  That just stings like I hit ya on the funny bone with a hammer, huh? 

Referencing Luke Chapter 4, R. A. Torrey writes, "The fallen archangel is craving for worship still."  BBs, when we step in front of someone else that is doing the work of Christ, we are a stumbling block just like Peter.  We are an OBSTRUCTION!  Please, please, please let's not worship the wrong thing.  Only ONE God is worthy of worship.  Oh the thought of indirectly giving worship to that nasty liar makes me want to lock myself in my house and sing praise songs and read the Bible 24/7.  But I can't. 

I CAN pray continuously. 
I CAN give my thoughts to HIM. 
I CAN seek intimacy with him. 
I CAN follow the 10 commandments. 
I CAN love my neighbor as myself.  
I CAN choose to worship Him!
I CAN take up my cross!!!

The word cross in these verses is quite literally "the cross."  No trickery here. It means the very cruel way of punishing criminals and others to death by crucifixion.  But wait!  The root of this word means something quite different.  It means to stand... to make firm... to set or place in balance.  Isn't that what the cross does for us, BB's?

Put on your armor, stand strong, and take up your cross, cause BB's... we are in for a wild ride! 

Father, we are so, so sorry for ever giving satan worship through our actions.  You died for us on the cross and the very least we can do is take up our cross everyday in thanks for your grace and mercy.  When temptations are strong... when busy-ness is closing in so heavily... when life is just plain ole hard, Father, point us to the cross.  Wrap us up in your unfailing love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment