Tuesday, February 17, 2015

BB-tine Friendship How To Guide


Hello there BB’s!  So in thinking about Valentine’s Day this month and a blog that I’m doing over at Middle Places, I am writing about BB love.  I started thinking about this, because I am writing about how my hubby and I (RE)kindle (Middle Places’ monthly theme) on a daily basis. Well, BB’s aren’t any different! 

My BB is my family.  And her family is my family.  And the BB army is my family.  But for it all to work, God has to be central.  BB marriages come next (that means the BB’s and their men) and then PBB’s and then BB’s.  God declared all the first truths… I added in the BB part of course. 

But peeps, it’s true.  God has to be first or we lose sight of the other relationships.  And the BB relationship is then in danger.  So, for over three years, we have committed to a few truths.  We have not strayed from these even while dealing with a whole slew of sneaky snake battles.  Sure, we’ve messed up.  Sheesh, we aren’t perfect, but we always come back to these basics.  It’s all about the little things, peeps.  That’s what keeps the tutus blowin’ in the right direction.

So here they are I no particular order…

“Love your neighbor as yourself.”  
 Matthew 19:19

·      God tells us to love our neighbor as ourselves.  I think “getting in people’s shoes” helps us do this.  That’s how our BB journey began, so we started on a good foundation.  I didn’t just seek to tell her MY story, I wanted and needed to hear and learn about hers.  How does this help?  Well I, for one, am more considerate (and look peeps, I’m not most the time).  I think before I speak.  I truly treat my BB as I’d want to be treated.  And it’s tough.  It takes work.
·      Putting the other person first.  It’s like the dang chip and dale chipmunks occasionally… “You go first, no you go first, no you, no after you.”  It’s not about being robotic about it either… it’s about a desire to put each other’s needs before our own.  We feel bad for griping sometimes, because maybe the other person is having a hard day.  We make choices about what and where we go by thinking of each other first.
·      Drop the superficial.  We, BB’s, ain’t got time for that.  Back to keeping God central.  Are we doing this silliness (whatever it may be) fo show or fo realz?  Is this for peeps to see our ridiculousness?  Or is this for peeps to see the crazy shiny drop of joy God put deep down in our BB hearts?
·      Having each other’s back.  There isn’t any truer love than someone that would lay down their life for his friend.  God’s word yet again.  And a BB abides by this.  To hurt one is to hurt the other.  No question about it. 

“Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.”   
John 15:13

·      We give each other prayer requests.  And we pray for them.  And we have a safe friendship in that we know the other person is not using these prayer requests as possible innocent gossip.  Ladies, this is a biggie!  And so easy to accidently slip and do!
·      We provide a place of accountability.  This is tougher than you think.  It requires love and lack of judgment.  It requires honesty on BOTH ends.  Not just the person asking to be held accountable.  The other person has to be brave and kind and loving and tactful enough to be able to call the BB out if needed.
·      BB’s gotta keep things in perspective.  Life happens.  God happens. BB’s have been through a mess already, so we know that things just sometimes happen.  We have to step back and look at the bigger picture and process what the other BB’s heart needs right then.  Cause it ain't and never will be all about us!

As iron sharpens iron, as on man sharpens another. 
Proverbs 27:17

·      We honor each other’s strengths.  As we all know, our strengths can often be our weaknesses.  BB’s got that, so we try to sharpen each other.  Iron sharpens iron, BBs.  And funny enough, as you sharpen that strength, you become more and more aware of how it can be used as a weakness.   
·      Be first to apologize.  Always.  That is all.  Do it.   

We’ve all read 1 Corinthians 13:4 a billion times, but read it again.  It is NOT just for couples, BBs.  It’s for you and me and my friendship with my BB and my friendship with the dang mailman.  It’s for the BB army to use on a daily basis. 

XOXO!  We hope you have a Happy BB-tine’s month!

Love is patient.   
Love is kind.  
 It does not envy, 
it does not boast, 
it is not proud.   
It is not rude, 
it is not self-seeking, 
it is not easily angered, 
it keeps no records of wrong.   
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.   
It always protects, 
always trusts, 
always hopes, 
always perseveres.   
1 Corinthians 13:4-7






No comments:

Post a Comment