Thursday, February 19, 2015

Quit Hiding From Lent!


So, hey BBs, ya know what happened last week? Ash Wednesday. I grew up Baptist, so for the most part, all I knew about Ash Wednesday was that peeps had crosses drawn on their heads with ash. Kinda looked cool, but that’s as far as I went with it… until now.

Don’t get me wrong, I understood it all full well, but I didn’t jump on the lent train or anything. Which now, looking back, is almost funny in a sense. Easter is the most important holiday to my heart. I well up with tears just thinking about it… and if you know me, that’s BIG for this BB. 

Easter is HOPE! 

Easter is a Christian’s “HAPPY NEW YEAR!”


So this year, I’m going all out… sort of.  I started a little Lenten calendar... a praying in color thang. I started reading the scriptures. I fasted… kind of. And you know what I learned about 3 hours into the experience… I stink at fasting of anything. Mind you, people, I wasn’t even fasting food! I was fasting luxury… in sense. And I stunk.  Immediately. And my anxiety went through the roof…because I am so broken and shameful and selfish that I struggle over stupid little sacrifices. And this is why I always hid from Lent. 

And my mind went down bunny trails. (Enter the ole sneaky snake). I generally do not have negative thoughts about myself. I have a fairly happy little inner voice, but this time it was different. “I can’t even sacrifice something for a day… and there are people sacrificing their lives! I’m so unappreciative of what I have, but I guess what I have is because of choices I’ve made. That’s why my life is hard.” 

And then I begrudgingly read the daily readings for Ash Wednesday. I didn’t want to. They were long and deep and muddy. And my mind wandered right to where God wanted. That day. And my world changed forever. And I had been stuck…. in that pattern… looking in disbelief and discontent. My life had been a lie. And God reminded me that HE picked me up. I made the choices from that point on with my own God-given free will and HE lifted me out of the ashes. 

He does not treat us as our sins deserve… 
He remembers that we are dust… 
But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord’s love is with those who fear Him…  
 Psalm 103:8

I am committing to this lent thing…even if I mess up the whole fasting thing. I’m done living in that dark, cold, emptiness. I’m laying that mess at the feet of Jesus. That’s the only way I can SHINE, BBs!!

I beg of you to lay down your crowns at the feet of Jesus for at least 40 days. I beg you to nail your stinkiest, most rotten issues that are dragging you down to the cross for 40 days. And ya know what?  They say it takes 30 days to form a habit.   

Maybe the sin and shame of the cross will forever give you joy.   

Maybe this is how lent this year changes your life forever.  

Maybe this is what you need to SHINE! 

 No looking back, BBs!

No more hiding. 



1 comment:

  1. Since I wear all black on stage, I understand the lent thang. Nice piece. 😑

    ReplyDelete