Monday, August 19, 2013

My Fav Word in the Bible

School's in session, little peeps are mostly out of our hair, our schedules and routines are firming back up, so sit down BBs, have a big ole cup of coffee (or caffeine substitute, right Jenny?), and let's discuss one of my favorite words in the Bible EVAH!  Wanna guess what it is?  It's "makes".  Yeppers, no typo there.  Makes!  That's it!  Now here's the verse (emphasis mines :)...

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.  
He MAKES me lie down in green pastures. 
He leads me beside still waters.  
He restores my soul.  He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Psalm 23:1-3

For years after my mom died of cancer, I felt guilty when I rested.  I felt bad for sitting, or napping, or doing anything other than living life to the fullest because she no longer could.  I was afraid I'd get cancer and regret ANY time I just sat.  I was afraid I'd miss something if I wasn't on the go.  I felt like I was wasting my life away if I took a 15 minute nap.  Yes, peeps, I went a little overboard.  Moderation has never been my strength.  Then I re-read this chapter.  I really read it.  I thought about it through the eyes of our great Shepherd.  

He makes.  Not "He lets," or "He tells us to," or "He asks us to."  He MAKES me lie down.  Sunday is hard enough, but taking time on other days is even harder.  The devil's in the details...  I plan a whole day of rest on Sunday and then a bunch of insignificant sillies tempt me into not resting.  I have to beat myself over my BB head and remember that it's the day of rest for a reason.  God commanded us to have a day of rest.  Our bodies...no, our SOULS need it!

I love David's word here!  Obviously since the fall and we all went to work, God has been having to MAKE us rest.  Allow for that BBs.  Let God make you rest.  You know you need it!  I think our little bodies and souls CAN have rest everyday.  Even when struggling and plodding along in this nasty world that is SO not our home, we can have rest... or rather PEACE... every.  single.  day.    

Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.  
Psalm 37:3

Here's the clincher though... we have to trust God, do His good works, dwell with Him in the land of the Living, and sometimes the hardest part.. ENJOY the safety of his loving and safe arms.

Father, MAKE me rest in You.  I want to be still in Your presence so that I can hear Your voice.  I want to be rested so that I can shine Your light.  I want to trust and dwell in You so I can enjoy SAFE pastures and a Holy Kingdom.  Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment